05 September 2005

Paternal Instinct

I'll be attending my first class of the semester today. Lectures have started so I have to catch up a little bit.

In the meantime, I'm hooked to another blog, Dooce. The blogger, Heather, is a funny and witty mother who blogs about her family life, especially her young daughter Leta. If nothing else, I implore you to read her Newsletter section. She archives her monthly newsletters to her daughter. Every month, Heather writes a touching yet hilarious letter to her daughter, profiling her achievements and behaviour over the past month. It is so adorable, and through her photos you can see how Leta is slowly growing up.




An excerpt:

I look forward to this next month with you, to more coos and noises and near giggles, to more of the moments like the other night when I was feeding you at 1:30 AM and you kicked your sleeping father in the head. Your father and I love you more than you could possibly know, and you won’t know or understand just how much until you have a child of your own. Just please don’t have that child when you’re still a teenager. Which reminds me: You’re not allowed to date until you are 25.

(from Dooce: Month Two Newsletter)


After reading through them I actually thought of having a baby. My paternal instincts were never strong. It's not that I dislike children - It's that I only like children when they're happy and laughing. But I'm beginning to think that those few moments of happiness is all I really need to warrant having a child.

No comments: