17 September 2005

A Fan Film By Any Other Name...

...is called Advent Children.

I just finished watching a bootleg copy of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children with David. Though it's my first (and last) viewing, David has watched it 5 times prior to this viewing. He's a self-confessed Final Fantasy geek, having bought the original versions of several games and is now planning to buy the original DVD. I don't share his sentiments, though. Once through is good enough for Zemien.

The problem with Advent Children is that regardless of how much money and time that was poured into this project, it remains at heart a fan film. And like all fan films, only fans can understand and appreciate them. David will be ooh-ing and aah-ing even on his 6th cycle, and I will be, "Is that even physically possible?" The direction is also a little jerky in certain places, going for confused flashbacks, that once again, only David can decipher.

Of course, kudos to the graphics team for coming up with great visuals. In fact, I caught myself admiring the graphics more than synching the English subtitles to the Japanese dialogue. The rendering is perfect, even though my copy has been significantly compressed from the original DVD. I also find it strange that the DVD version was produced even before the first public screening in Japan. I think that will surely be a big bite out of Square Enix' pie.

No comments: