01 April 2009

Cracks Widen

My company recently announced that 2700, or about 19%, of its Electronic Measurements Group will be laid off. I'm one of those potentially affected.

Details are thin at the moment, but we'll know more in less than 2 weeks. Meanwhile though, morale is low and uncertainty is high. I hate waiting for the death row list to be finalized. In a previous 'restructuring' exercise, the severance package was pretty tempting so I'm actually OK if I get picked.

I would go so far as to say that I would prefer to be laid off with a generous package than to stay on, because the situation is bleak. Who wants to stay in a company and wait for the next cost-cutting measure as is bound to happen next quarter? It started with the 10% pay cut end of 2008, then the closure of under-performing divisions, then the restructuring of support groups, and then this. Bad news! Month by month. Don't we all deserve some good news?

No comments: