02 March 2009

3500

From my research so far, I need to consume an extra 3500 calories to gain an extra pound. Since my goal is to gain about 1 pound per week, that means I have to consume an additional 3500 calories/week on top of my maintenance levels.

3500 may sound like a small number but just see how much food one needs to take to fill 3500 kcal: Sample 3500 calorie diet. Granted, I'm supposed to spread that amount of food over the entire week, but here's the catcher: I'm barely reaching my daily maintenance calories.

So, on top of eating an extra 500 kcal a day (3500/7) I have to make sure I reach my maintenance level as well.

The first step towards that is to make sure I have six filling meal times a day: breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, tea, dinner, and supper. On days that I workout or teach I may have a late dinner, so I must remember to compensate by having more food at 3pm.

I feel a little grumbling in my tummy - off to find something to munch on! Of course I know it's not just about calories, but where those calories come from. Clean and dirty calories will be a future post.

No comments: