12 January 2011

Resignation

Note: This is in the series of blog posts I wrote about my preparation to move to New Zealand. Although I am already in Auckland, I'll be continuing with this and completing the series in a few weeks. The original date stamps will give you an idea of how time-consuming migration takes. The 'New Zealand' tag will bring up all related posts.

[Originally written on 28/9/2010]

Hmm, what’s the best way to do it?

Due to an organization change I currently have 2 managers, so one fine day I set up a meeting appointment simply titled “Employment discussion”. My current manager immediately called me up and correctly guessed what it was going to be about.

While disappointed, they took it really well and was supportive of my plans to expand my wings overseas. However, they left a gap for me to revoke my resignation if I ever change my mind, and that was that. We discussed a bit on my plans and how I will transition my work to others.

No unnecessary drama. Just the way I like and appreciate.

[End of original post]

I expected the news about my resignation to spread really fast but surprisingly many people did not know up till the last month! I had to personally approach my former bosses and project managers to fill them in.

I felt honoured to be invited for quite a number of farewell meals from my colleagues. They made me feel really appreciated and sad to be missed. When asked for a speech, I always tell them that I wish them all the best in pursuing their dreams, because even they have their epic journeys to traverse.

No comments: